Server requirements are periodically revised. The characteristics below are outlined for a survey of no more than 100,000 interviews. You may need a more powerful server if:
- your survey is larger, or
- you plan to host several surveys, or
- if you plan to collect any multimedia data (photos, audio recordings, etc), or
- there are other non-standard circumstances.
Requirements for the server depend on the use and the type of the survey. Below is a minimal configuration. Better hardware allows better performance.
- CPU: 4 physical cores, 64-bit
- RAM: 16GB
- DISK: 500GB SSD
If you are planning to purchase new hardware and wish for the server to be operational over the next few years, it is recommended to double the minimal specifications above.
- OS Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or newer / Linux server that supports running docker images.
- Microsoft .Net Core 3.1 runtime.
- Starting version 21.01 runs on ASP.NET Core Runtime 5.
- Latest version of PostgreSQL (see standalone installation instructions).
On windows Survey Solutions is working under Microsoft IIS which is built-in into the OS.
The server must be:
- properly cooled;
- physically secured;
- reliably powered 24/7;
- reliably connected to the network/internet with appropriate bandwidth;
- protected from the elements (flooding, fire, etc).
You may find other useful information and advice in the FAQ for the IT personnel.